Website Health Check
Your car has an annual service to keep it running better. If you don't feel your best, you go to the doctor for a checkup. So why don't you do the same with your website?
Spend 1 minute going through the following to see the reasons for, and the benefits of, a website health check.
When you first get your website, you assume that everything is just perfect. Even if that is true, things change over time, and seldom for the better. Let's use some examples.
- One client eventually took delivery of a replacement website after a shambolic project. Although it "worked", we were asked to run an audit. The issues were so many and fundamental, that the supplier did it all again, for free.
- Another client was unhappy with how his website performed in Google. His web designer was adamant that everything was spot on, and tried to prevent us running a website review. Our report highlighted the many issues that were causing problems.
- A web design agency approached us to analyse one of their client's websites. They then used the findings as a sales tool, showing their client what should be done to improve what they had already done for them.
More and more companies have approached us because they have run out of ideas. They would like reassurance that everything is OK, or a list of what has to be sorted.
So what's stopping someone doing a website health check themselves? For a start, it is never a good idea for those involved in delivering the website to be the ones auditing it.
But there are lots of (free and paid) tools online to do this. There are too many to choose from. They don't all do the same thing, and none covers everything. Often the results are open to misinterpretation. Finally, not all of the suggestions are really that relevant, causing unnecessary alarm and expense.
An effective website health check should address various issues. These all inter-relate, but can be broadly split into 3.
- Things that are broken, or don't quite work;
- Things that spoil your Google rankings, and;
- Legal issues.
Many of these are not always obvious, but once fixed, put your website into a much stronger position.
Perhaps you are confident that your website is faultless, but we've never yet come across one that couldn't be improved. If you don't care about your online marketing, then it's not really an issue. However, you wouldn't have read this far, would you? Get in touch and I can tell you how we can help you. It is remarkably cost-effective.
This is one of a series of articles that deal with common issues when promoting your business online. We hope that you found it useful. Go to our online marketing tips to see previous pieces of advice. If there are any topics that you would like covered, please let us know.
If you need to promote your business online, then contact us.